Gautam Gambhir bats for Ravichandran Ashwin’s inclusion in World Cup squad

first_imgGautam Gambhir bats for Ravichandran Ashwin’s inclusion in World Cup squadGautam Gambhir said a finger-spinner like Ravichandran Ashwin could be as effective as a wrist-spinner in English conditions during the World Cup. Ashwin last played for India in an ODI in July 2017.advertisement Press Trust of India BengaluruJanuary 22, 2019UPDATED: January 22, 2019 21:26 IST Ravichandran Ashwin has not played for India since June 2017 (Reuters Photo)HIGHLIGHTSGautam Gambhir wants Ravichandran Ashwin to be included in the India’s World Cup squadGambhir said a finger-spinner like him could be as effective as a wrist-spinner in English conditions”I’ve always believed that a quality spinner is a quality spinner,” Gambhir saidFormer opener Gautam Gambhir wants Ravichandran Ashwin to be included in the India’s one day international team ahead of the 2019 ICC World Cup in England and Wales. Gambhir said a finger-spinner like him could be as effective as a wrist-spinner in English conditions.Ashwin last played for India in coloured clothing in July 2017. Wrist-spinners Yuzvendra Chahal and Kuldeep Yadav have since become frontline spinners for India in limited-overs format. While Ravindra Jadeja has managed to make a comeback in the shorter formats, Ashwin has not.”Both wrist-spinners [Kuldeep and Chahal] have done well in the last one year. But I still feel that Ashwin is somebody we should look at. I’ve always believed that a quality spinner is a quality spinner irrespective of whether he is a wrist-spinner or a finger-spinner,” said Gambhir at a promotional event.Gambhir cited the example of premier Australia tweaker Nathan Lyon, who recently made an ODI comeback following his stellar performances in the longest format.”He [Lyon[ is probably the best off-spinner in the world and he’s a finger-spinner. I feel that we should not differentiate because there’s a wrist-spinner and so there’s no space for a finger-spinner.”I think R Ashwin is someone who we should always consider because we are looking at conditions in England during that time of the year. Wickets could be flat and worn out. So a finger-spinner can be effective with the ball as well,” said Gambhir.Commenting on opener Shikhar Dhawan, who was not amongst the runs in the ODI series against Australia, Gambhir said the southpaw should have played first-class cricket since he was not part of the Test series Down Under.advertisement”I am a little disappointed because some of the guys should have played first-class cricket. Being away from Test cricket should have actually pushed them to play first-class cricket.”Whoever was selected to play [only] white-ball cricket, because it is a World Cup year, I think it should have pushed all these guys like MS Dhoni, Shikhar Dhawan and Ambati Rayudu all those who went to Australia – to play first-class cricket,” he said.For sports news, updates, live scores and cricket fixtures, log on to indiatoday.in/sports. Like us on Facebook or follow us on Twitter for Sports news, scores and updates.Get real-time alerts and all the news on your phone with the all-new India Today app. Download from Post your comment Do You Like This Story? Awesome! Now share the story Too bad. Tell us what you didn’t like in the comments Posted byPTI Tags :Follow Gautam GambhirFollow Ravichandran Ashwinlast_img read more

Read More →

UNICEF fears scores of kidnapped children in South Sudan could be sent

UNICEF, in a press release issued in Juba, South Sudan, reported that 89 children preparing for exams were forcibly recruited last month as child soldiers, but the agency now believes the number of children may be in the hundreds. In addition, adult males were also forcibly recruited during the raids that took place on 15 and 16 February.Witnesses also stated many children have been seen in a training camp as young as 12 years old were seen carrying guns but not in uniform, according to UNICEF.“We fear they are going from the classroom to the front line,” said UNICEF’s Representative in South Sudan, Jonathan Veitch. “UNICEF appeals to [militia leader] Johnson Oloni to let those children go back to school and be with their families, immediately.”Mr. Veitch also urged the Government of South Sudan to use whatever influence it had to secure the children’s release.UNICEF said it is confident that the armed group which took the children was a Shilluk Militia under the control of Johnson Oloni. This militia is aligned with the Government’s Sudan People’s Liberation Army (SPLA) forces, he added.In an intensive information gathering exercise, both in Juba and in Upper Nile state where the seizures took place, UNICEF and its partners have tried to piece together what happened during and after the raid and to discover the location of the children. One of the challenges hampering evidence gathering has been a heavy militia presence remaining in the area, making it impossible to receive first-hand information.From reports received so far it is becoming clear the children are not together in a single group, UNICEF reports, saying that some of the children – including some of the school boys – were believed allowed back into their village to eat with their parents and in some instances some children were allowed to go to school. They were then taken away again at night. read more

Read More →